Homemade Hot Cross Buns Recipe
There is nothing quite like homemade hot cross buns served lightly toasted with butter for breakfast with a nice cup of tea.Print
Hot Cross Buns Recipe
These delicious hot cross buns can be served with butter or jam of your choice.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- 300ml warm water
- 3 tbsp skimmed milk powder
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 432g strong bread flour
- 1 1/2 tsp dried yeast
- 100g saltanas
- 50g mixed peel
- 3 tbsp apricot jam
- little flour to make paste for the cross.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Mix flour, yeast, milk powder, salt, sugar, cinnamon and fruit together.
- Make a well in the centre and add the warm water and sunflower oil.
- Mix well and knead for a few minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl and cover until it has doubled in size.
- Tip out onto a slightly floured surface and knead a little.
- Cut into 12 pieces and roll into balls.
- Place on greased baking sheet.
- Cover and allow to prove until doubled in size.
- Mix about 50g flour with water until you have a paste and put into a small piping bag.
- Pipe a cross on each bun.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Melt down 3 tbsp apricot jam and brush over the buns while still hot.